Doctoral dissertations stored in the Library of the University of Silesia are available in the Reading Room, Level 1 of the CINiBA building.
We invite authors of doctoral theses to give us licence to put their texts in the Silesian Digital Library. If you are interested, please contact the library or send an electronic version of your thesis together with a signed licence.
- The database is updated regularly. You can search by the following criteria: author, title, promoter, year, area of knowledge.
- The catalogue does not include dissertations from the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Theology.
- Work created at the Faculty of Law and Administration, the Faculty of Arts, the Faculty of Earth Sciences and the Faculty of Theology are available in the libraries of these faculties.
If all copies of a certain title are borrowed, a reservation can be made:
- fter clicking on the “Reserve” option, the system shows the number of people waiting for the document and asks how many days the reservation should be valid. A default value in the box is 60 days. After that period, reservation would be canceled,
- when the document is returned, the reservation automatically appears on the reader’s account in the “Requested documents – unsent” field,
- the “Confirm request” option must then be used within seven days. Not having sent the order results in inability to borrow the reserved document.
Libraries in the electronic catalogue - List of abbreviations
Abbreviations of the libraries’ names visible by the documents found in the electronic catalogue in the “Location” field develop after clicking with the cursor.
The University of Silesia Libraries - List of abbreviations
Library of the Faculty of Philology in Katowice - Reading Room and Circulation Desk of Library Science
CINiBA (Library of the University of Silesia - collections of Chemistry)
BFA BFAbg, BFAfo
Library of the Faculty of Philology in Sosnowiec – Circulation Desk of English Philology
BFG BFGbg, BFGfo
Library of the Faculty of Philology in Sosnowiec – Reading Room and Circulation Desk of Germanic Philology
Library of the Faculty of Philology in Katowice – Reading Room of Classical Studies
Library of the Faculty of Philology in Katowice
BFR BFRbg, BFRfo
Library of the Faculty of Philology in Sosnowiec – Circulation Desk of Romanic Philology
Library of the Faculty of Philology in Sosnowiec – Circulation Desk of Slavonic Philology
BFW BFWbg, BFWfo
Library of the Faculty of Philology in Sosnowiec – Circulation Desk of East Slavonic Philology
CINiBA (Library of the University of Silesia)
CINiBA (Library of the University of Silesia - collections of Physics)
CINiBA (Library of the University of Silesia, collections of Mathematics)
Library of the Faculty of Social Sciences
Library of the Faculty of Earth Sciences
CINiBA (collections of Library of the Didactic Centre in Rybnik)
Library of the Faculty of Pedagogy and Psychology
Library of the Faculty of Law and Administration
Library of the School of Management
CINiBA (Library of the University of Silesia - collections of Biology)
CINiBA (Library of the University of Silesia - collections of Computer Science and Materials Science)
Branch Library of the University of Silesia in Cieszyn
Library of the Faculty of Philology in Sosnowiec – Reading Room of the Chair of Business Language
CINiBA (Collections of Library of the International School of Political Science)
Library of the Faculty of Radio and Television
Library of the School of Foreign Languages
The University of Economics in Katowice Libraries - List of abbreviations
P, G, W, CI
CINiBA (Library of the University of Economics)
Library of the Econometrics, Mathematics and Statistics Departments
Library of the Finance Department
Library of the Computer Science Department
Library of the Accounting Department
Library of the Management Systems and Methods Department
Library of the Business Administration, Economics and Logistics Departments
Departments of Library Marketing Team
cPUL, wPUL, zPUL
Library of the International Economics and Applied Mathematics Departments
Library of the Science and Didactic Centre in Bielsko-Biała
Library of the Science and Didactic Centre in Rybnik
The “Account” option is designed for registered users of libraries. When a reader opens his account, he is asked to re-enter his password:
- the reader has access to the following information: personal details, requested items and on-site items, reservations, renewals, user history, fines and fees. He can also change his password and e-mail;
- thanks to the “Requested items” option the reader may check if he properly performed the order going into “Requested items – unsent”, at any time. In the “Reserved items – unsent” option shows also the reserved documents;
- if the document has been only requested but unsent, after 24 hours it is available again and can be requested.
The book can be self-renewed by a reader if:
- the date of the return has not expired for any of the books borrowed,
- no copy of that particular edition has been reserved by another reader,
- the book has not been renewed at the Circulation Desk,
- book has not been previously renewed 3 times.
Caution! Each book can be renewed up to 3 times. Therefore, in order to maximise the rental period it is the best to prolong the book immediately before the due date.
To self-renew a book, a reader should:
- Log into a Library account, the icon is in the top bar of the catalogue windows
- Click the “Renewable items” bookmark (in this case you have to wait, because the data may download slowly), a list of books that can be renewed is shown,
- Click the “Renew” button by the book we want to extend the rental period - the system asks for confirmation
- If we click the “Yes” button, description of the book appears – with a new date of the return indicating that the renewal is successful.
After searching the title in the catalogue, the following information appears:
- location - after clicking on the symbol, information about the library holding the book would be shown (list of abbreviations of the libraries is also here),
- call number - the information needed to find a book on the shelf or to order it to the Reading Room,
- shelving location - information about where in the library the book is located (department, storehouses, Reading Room or Special library)
- action - for books in open access, icon of order will be inactive - these documents can be found on the shelf by a reader and borrowed using self-check devices deployed at every level or at the traditional Circulation Desk - Level 0
Caution! A reader cannot borrow two identical editions of the same title.
- The catalogue can be searched using the following criteria: author, title, institution, event, unified title, subject term, ISBN / ISSN,
- In the advanced search retrieval indexes can be connect by logical operators located on the right side of the window: AND, OR, EXCEPT;
The data required to log into the catalogue:
- library card number or PESEL number
If you have problems with logging into the system, please contact:
- Use the Ask a librarian option
Catalogue of world literature. It contains descriptions of books, electronic documents, and articles.
Common search engine for several European countries, national libraries, and digital libraries.
Library of Congress Catalogs offer four kinds of searching: by entering specific words from the record, by calling the index and selection of an appropriate term, in telnet connection and advanced search (Experimental Search System) with the possibility of finding related topics records.
Distributed catalogue - searches the union catalogues and national libraries catalogues of most European countries as well as from Canada and the catalogue of U.S. Congress Library).
Union catalogues of European countries
Austria Austrian libraries catalogue
Belgium The Royal Library Catalog
Czech Union Union Catalogue of the Czech Republic
Lithuania Lithuanian National Library
- KVK - Karlsruher Virtueller Katalog,
- German Libraries Online (HBZ)
- DigiBib - Digitale Bibliothek
- Gateway Bayern
Slovakia Slovenska Kniznica
Switzerland Swiss Libraries
The European Library provides access to resources of 47 European national libraries in 20 languages. You can search for bibliographic descriptions and available electronic publications.
List of libraries, made by Thomas Dowling. It contains links to 7500 web pages of libraries from more than 135 countries.
List of libraries from around the world. Available through the WWW. Includes, inter alia, academic, national and public libraries. For the classification of the libraries geographical criterion was used.
List of libraries from around the world. Available through the WWW. It includes more than 3600 libraries from more than eighty countries.